For Immediate Release
Saito Design students gain valuable guidance from award-winning advertising industry leaders
Petaling Jaya, 22 March 2012 – Students from Saito College share the stage with creative industry veterans to launch Saito College’s first phase of a RM1,000,000 multi-touchpoint communication campaign titled ‘Sa-Kun: The Rise of the Third Eye’ at TGV Sunway Pyramid today.
The year-long campaign for Saito School of Design is spearheaded by advertising agency, Pirana Graphics and puts students’ creativity to the test by involving them from the start of the creative process – character and storyline development, music design, creative direction through to the launching of the campaign.
The animated TVC tells the story of two characters, Sa-kun and Ito-Chan. Sa-kun, who seeks to expand his creative learning outside of the norm is shunned by his mates. The 40-second cinema commercial is screened at TGV cinemas throughout Klang Valley in March and April. The cliff-hanger pilot episode directs audiences to the Saito College Facebook page to view Episode Two, a two-minute animation.
Young design enthusiasts are encouraged to play a part in determining how the story unfolds and those who post ideas onto Saito College’s Facebook wall, stand a chance to win movie tickets. Ideas may later be incorporated into Sa-Kun’s third episode.
In the press conference, Saito College Principal, Mr. Ooi Chee Kok said, “’Industry as Classroom’ is one of the pillars of strengths at Saito College. We understand the importance of building sought-after graduates for the creative industry, so we encourage our students to gain invaluable industry experience from our list of accredited Master Trainers like Alan Lim,”.
“I really enjoyed the coursework this year because it gives me and my team mates a chance to be involved from writing the brief, to pitching the ideas and deciding on the storyline. It’s really exciting to see our work in the big screen!” said Sylvia Yap Suet Yeng (18 years old) studying Diploma In Multimedia Design. She is one of the seven students involved in the project. The project is open to all students, however a pioneer group of students were selected by design programme director, Mr. Augustine Wong based on their consistent show of creativity and passion for extra-curricular learning.
Saito College has built a name for training creative and resilient students with industry-specific experiences. Saito College’s alumni includes award-winning art directors, interior designers and multimedia experts.
This campaign is a boon for students of the creative design industry as they get first-hand experience and are learning the trade from scratch. Led by Alan Lim, CEO of advertising agency Pirana Graphics, the uniqueness of the campaign is that it links traditional media to social media networks like Facebook and Twitter. Lim shared that the advertising industry has had a long love affair with cinema as a medium to showcase creativity.
The campaign is ongoing and Saito College students will have the chance to work under the guidance of Pirana Graphics to conclude Season One of the animated TVC.
The official launch preview was attended by 80 guests including students, bloggers, design enthusiasts and children from the Sunbeam Home shelter.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/saitocollege to view the full cinema commercial and Facebook commercial.
This press release has been issued by NOVApr – a div. of Go International Group for Saito College.
Mr. Hoh Wing Onn
Tel : +603 – 7954 7200, Fax : +603 – 7954 7211, Mobile +6012-208-6956
Ms. Jasmine Low
NOVApr – a div of Go International Group Sdn Bhd
Tel: +603 7727 0093 Mobile: +6017 623 0288
About Saito College
- Saito College was founded by Mr. Tetsuo Saito, a Japanese entrepreneur, who saw the need of a Design School in Malaysia in 1988. It was then known then as the Saito Academy of Graphic Design.
- Since its establishment, 6,000 designers have graduated from the school and pursued careers in various design fields around the world.
- Saito College recently won two prestigious prizes:
– The 2010 Prime Minister’s CSR Award (Small Company Category) for our work giving Higher Education opportunities to the children of the rural folk of Malaysia.
– The NAPEI (National Association of Private Education Institutions) Education Excellence Award for Best College 2010 (Medium Size Category)
- Saito College’s Four Pillars Strengths :-
– Industry as Classroom
Successful professionals and entrepreneurs in the industry partner us to take on the role of Master Trainer and Mentor to share their insights and impart their practical knowledge. Teaching-learning takes place at their actual workplaces, providing real-life settings where students can acquire skills, knowledge and proper work ethics.
– Plus2 Competencies
A purposefully designed curriculum that includes aspects of different disciplines challenges our students to enlarge their view and develop strong professional ethics. Equipped with additional competencies, our graduates are ready for the working world and cross this threshold with eagerness and excitement.
– Caring Environment
A strong sense of being student-focused underscores our efforts in making students’ safety and well-being a priority. We are constantly anticipating and meeting our students’ needs and concerns, and ensuring that there is a safe and warm, and caring environment where they can flourish.
– Enjoyable Learning Experience
Student-centred and out-of-the-classroom activities provide a platform for students to learn through self-discovery, and at the same time forge friendships that can grow into lifelong bonds. These enriching experiences provide a positive impact and invaluable lessons that are caught more than taught.
About Saito College CEO, Mr. Ooi Chee Kok
- Ooi started his career in finance and banking in 1978 and expanded his career into manufacturing, marketing and international financial services. He has managed businesses throughout ASEAN and the Pacific region.
- Ooi was later attached to Taylor’s Education group for eleven years and was last the President of Taylor’s University College before taking up on his passion to develop a niche education institution that offers opportunities for students to receive an education that will allow them to make a positive impact to the community around them.
- Ooi helms Saito College as CEO since 2009. Saito College received the 2010 Prime Minister CSR Award in recognition of its contributions to the underprivileged community.
- Ooi received his degree from Universiti Sains Malaysia and was made a Fellow of the University of Technology Sydney in 2009.
About Master Trainer, Alan Lim
- Alan Lim is the founder and CEO of Pirana Graphics Sdn Bhd, an up and coming branding consultancy in Petaling Jaya.
- He was formerly founding member and Chairman of Naga DDB but started as the agency’s creative director. Alan created some of the most memorable advertising campaigns in Malaysia that included “Breakaway” for Peter Stuyvesant, Wayang Kulit” for Chap Ibu Dan Anak and “Smart Like You” for Perodua. Among his stellar achievements was winning the Gold, Silver and Bronze in a single category with three different campaigns in the prestigious 4As award show for “Panasonic”.